FAQs about Applying for and Checking the Status of Your F4 Visa

FAQs about Applying for and Checking the Status of Your F4 Visa

The F4 visa – also known as the sibling green card – is one of the most popular family-based green card categories. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) often processes an F4 Visa more quickly than other options, offers several forms and documents, and allows a broader set of sponsors.

For your best F4 experience, a Kentucky immigration attorney is readily available. Until you find the right one for you, here are some essential FAQs about the F4 Visa that should help in navigating the application process and checking your application status.

Who Is Eligible For An F4 Visa?

According to the USCIS official website, here are the requirements to be eligible for an F4 Visa:

  • You must be under the age of 21.
  • You must be from a country that is part of the Visa Waiver Program.
  • You must be the sibling of a current F2, F2A, or F2B immigrant to the United States.
  • You must be the sibling of a full-blooded, U.S. citizen to the United States.
  • Your F4 visa status is automatically changed if your brother or sister obtains an H-1B work visa or an OPT.
  • You must maintain a positive F4 FGM status.

Because there are some special cases – such as, you are an unmarried dependent of your brother or sister; you are your brother or sister’s minor child, or you are your brother or sister’s natural or adopted child–it is important to research and schedule a consultation with an experienced Kentucky immigration attorney.

How Do I Check My F4 Visa Status Online?

You can check your USCIS case status online. You will need your receipt notice (Form I-797, Notice of Action) that USCIS sent to your mailing address when they received your application. USCIS and the NVC are both online services that allow you to monitor your application’s progress. Both require the welcome letters sent by the USCIS or the NVC when they received your case for access.

Checking with USCIS:

  • Open the USCIS online case status tracker.
  • Type in your receipt number.
  • Review your case status. – The USCIS will tell you where your application is in their process, including information about any notices they may have mailed out to you that you need to respond to. Updates can help you understand where your application is in the overall filing process so that you can decide what you need to do next.

All foreign nationals applying for an F4 or other Optional Practical Training are required to submit the FCIC Form along with their visa application. FCIC forms are available in many countries, and some are accessible to any citizen of a foreign country with access to an Internet connection.

You can find the FCIC form by checking the F4 and F3 Visa pages of the USCIS website. In the form, you must specify how many years of practical training you are applying for. Next, you must disclose whether you are applying for an F4 Visa for your spouse, or if your spouse is applying for an F4 Visa for you. You must also include your filing date and the date of the last status change.

How Do I Prepare For My F4 Visa Interview?

Siblings who are not currently married may be unable to apply for an F4 visa. You may be required to provide documentation from a marriage certificate. In the event you have a child with a sibling, you can apply for a separate non-immigrant visa for the child.

Spouses and children who are eligible for an F4 visa are commonly seen coming from: Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Ireland, Italy, France, and Germany. In general, children from these countries are usually granted an F4 visa for long-term stays. Some couples only need one parent, while other family members need both parents to apply for an F4 visa.

How Long Does The F4 Visa Application Process Usually Take?

Approximately one year for an unaccompanied minor, and four to six months for an adult applicant. When you enter the U.S. You need to file for an application with USCIS within 180 days of arriving in the U.S.

Should you need a U.S. visa for work, travel, marriage, study or any other reason, an experienced lawyer can help make the process quick and easy.

Are There Other Types Of Visas I Should Know About?

Perhaps. The U.S. Department of State’s website has a directory of visa categories. To enter the United States, you must first secure a visa in most cases. Immigrant visas are for permanent residence, and non-immigrant visas are for temporary stay.

A qualified immigration attorney can advise you need an F4 Visa or something else.


An F4 visa is the type that grants immediate family access to the United States. This visa is for children and adolescents under the age of 21 years that have no parent that is a citizen or lawfully residing in the United States.